Your Ad Here

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Linux Desktop - My Ubuntu Experience


I have gone 45 days using solely my Ubuntu Linux laptop to conduct all facets of my daily computing functions. These include work related tasks as well as personal tasks. I will have to say, if there are any doubts of Ubuntu’s feasibility in the desktop environment, they should be put to rest.

First off, I was very impressed with the performance of the operating system on a modest running laptop that only had 512 MB of RAM. I have friends running Windows Vista system with 2 to 4 Gigs of RAM enduring terrible performance on their expensive systems. Also, I was pleased with the verity of open-sourced security and system administrative applications that were available and operated flawless on the system. For example, I was able to configure GnuPG communicate securely with encryption. I was also able to connect to remote systems using VPN access as well.

I was able to wireless access points from many different locations, view DVD movies and edit Microsoft office related documents with no problem.

As of today, I am upgrading from the current version of 8.04 to 8.10. I will have the details on that when I have reviewed it.

No comments: