Beware of Internet scams seeking donations for Haitian earthquake relief, FBI officials warn.
The agency's advice:
- Do not reply to any unsolicited emails, including clicking links contained in those messages.
- Be skeptical of anyone claiming via email or social networking sites to be surviving victims or officials asking for donations.
- Verify the legitimacy of non-profit groups by independently checking the group's existence, rather than relying on a purported link to the group's site.
- Be cautious of emails claiming to show photos of the disaster area in attached files. The files may contain computer viruses. Only open attachments sent by people or groups you know.
- Make contributions directly to known organizations, rather than relying on others to relay your donation.
- Never give your personal or financial information to anyone who solicits contributions. Providing that information opens the door to identity theft.